I guarantee your kids will be all awe struck!
Let's mix vinegar and milk and see what they can create for us.
- 1 cups of milk
- vinegar (white vinegar is common but you can also use rice vinegar)
- lots of paper towel
- food coloring (optional)
- adult supervision
- Heat up the milk in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
- Add vinegar into the milk. I started with 4 tablespoons of vinegar for 1 cup of milk. But you can also keep adding until you see mostly curd in the mixture. You will get more curd to play with that way.
- Place a paper towel on the strainer before straining the mixture.
- When you get most of the liquid out, transfer the curds onto a fresh piece of paper towel.
- Press and squeeze the curds until you get most of the liquid out.
- Put a dab of the mixture on your tongue to taste (Do you like it? Does it taste like buttermilk, yogurt or cheese?)
- Add food coloring (optional).
- Use a cookie cutter or your imagination, shape the curd puddle like you would with playdoh.
- Let it dry for 2-3 days.
Obviously, this lemon battery cannot power up a camera or even a kid’s toy. As you can see, our LED only lighted up slightly.
- Electrochemical Cells by HyperPhysics, Department of Physics and Astronomy, Georgia State University